ROG Maximus XII Apex is the premiere overclocking platform for extreme OC enthusiasts looking to unlock the full potential of the latest generation Intel Core processors. Its optimized layout, enhanced power delivery and control, and striking design with a myriad of customization options will appeal to overclockers, gamers, and PC builders alike.
Our ROG engineers developed and extensively-tested intelligent software solutions to ensure your system stays in optimal condition.
Tuning is now faster and smarter than ever before. AI Overclocking profiles the CPU and cooling to predict the optimal configuration for each system.
AI Cooling automatically manages and controls motherboard-connected fans, ensuring the most efficient settings depending on the current system load and temperature.
Push the performance envelope with hardware-level overclocking controls, intelligent power solution and enhanced memory support.
An Overclocker’s Tookit with hardware-level controls will aid your overclocking experience. They’re quick and easy time-savers designed to help you break more records.
- QLED - Four LEDs to show the current boot status.
- Pause Switch - Activate to pause the system and fine-tune OC parameters mid-benchmark.
- Probelt - Check the voltage via nine integrated measurement points.
- LN2 Mode - Jumper to enable special options and functions for liquid-nitrogen (LN2) over-clocking.
- ReTry Button - One press instantly initiates a hard reset.
- Full Speed Mode Switch - Four LEDs to show the current boot status.
- Slow Mode Switch - Instantly reduces the CPU ratio to 8X to bypass finicky benchmark passages
- Safe Boot Button - Instantly reset the PC and boot directly into a safe mode.
- BIOS Switch - Easily switch between BIOS 1 and 2
Specialized circuitry allows Maximus XII Apex to detect when condensation occurs on the back of the board. Divided into three distinct sections — CPU, DRAM and PCIe — the feature provides a useful warning when an area may be at risk of short-circuiting.
High Quality Components
Maximus XII Apex utilizes an intelligent VRM design fed by dual eight-pin auxiliary power connectors. Sixteen teamed power stages help eke out the last few MHz at the limits of the silicon.
- Dual 8-pin ProCool II power connectors - Two ProCool connectors ensure a snug and reliable connection to the EPS 12V power lines.
- 70 A power stage - The VRM has 16 power stages, each rated to handle 70 amps.
- MicroFine alloy chokes - Each Power stage is accompanied by a high-permeability alloy-core choke rated to handle 45 amps.
- 10K Japanese-made black metallic capacitors - Input and output filtering is provided by solid-polymer capacitors rated to last thousands of hours at high operating temperatures.
Asus OptiMem III
Boasting proprietary memory trace layout tweaks that improve signal integrity and mitigate noise, ASUS OptiMem III is more compatible with 3600 MHz+ memory kits, allowing them to run at higher frequencies. You can opt to optimize memory for high frequency settings, or low latency settings. Stack Maximus XII Apex with your favorite modules and maximize throughput of the new 10th Generation Intel® Core™ Comet Lake-S processor for applications that demand massive bandwidth.
A comprehensive cooling solution features carefully-designed heatsinks with the perfect balance of surface mass and air flow. With the addition of fan headers, the onboard cooling of Maximus XII Apex has more than enough capacity for specialization, maintaining system stability under any condition.
- VRM and I/O heatsink - A high mass, finned heatsink is connected to the I/O cover via a heat pipe, providing an expansive surface area for efficient heat dissipation.
- Large-diameter heatpipe - The U-shaped design provides rapid and even heat transfer from the VRM to the extended VRM heatsink.
- Aluminum heatsink cover - The heatsink cover is crafted from pure aluminum to efficiently cool the onboard M.2 drive.
- DIMM.2 heatsinks - The ROG DIMM.2 module now passively cools M.2 drives with metal heatsinks that also keep your build looking clean.
- High-conductivity thermal pad - The high-quality thermal pad improves overall heat transfer from the system by bridging the heat generated by the power stages to the heatsink.
- Extended VRM heatsink - The extended heatsink increases thermal mass to deal with the additional heat generated by high power consumption.
- Chipset heatsink - A dedicated chipset heatsink draws heat away to maintain optimum operating temperatures.
Cooler by design
Maximus XII Apex features the most comprehensive cooling options ever.
- Multiple temperature sources - Each header can be set to monitor and react to three user-configurable thermal sensors for workload-based cooling. And all settings can be easily managed by Fan Xpert 4 or UEFI.
- 4-pin PWM/DC fan - Every onboard header supports auto-detection of PWM or DC fans.
- AIO pump - A dedicated PWM/DC header for self-contained water-cooling setups.
- Full speed fan - Three full speed fan headers allow for targeted airflow during extreme overclocking.
ROG Water-Cooling Zone
Dual water-temperature headers and a flow-rate header feed information straight into the AI Suite utility, allowing you to track coolant temperatures and the flow rate of the entire loop.
- Water pump+ - A dedicated header can supply over 3 amps to high-performance PWM or DC water pumps.
- Water in/out - A dedicated header enables monitoring of temperatures at the input/output points of any component.
- Water flow - A dedicated header enables constant monitoring of flow rate throughout the entire loop.
Maximus XII Apex is packed with intuitive and flexible tools to allow customization across all system parameters to deliver the performance you want.
Accurate Voltage Monitoring
Conventional motherboards use single-ended sensing tapped from a location that isn't ideal, leading to a large disparity between the actual voltage fed to the CPU and the value reported to software. Maximus XII Apex features a differential-sensing circuit and delicate IC that simplify overclocking and tuning by allowing you to track voltages more accurately.
The renowned ROG UEFI (BIOS) provides everything you need to configure, tweak, and tune your rig. It offers intelligently simplified options for newcomers to PC DIY, as well as comprehensive features for seasoned veterans.
Designed to simplify setup, EZ mode presents vital settings and stats on a single page. With guided wizards, drag-and-drop functionality, and one-click application of important settings, your rig will be up and running in no time.
- Intuitive graphical fan controls - Fine-tune individual fans simply by dragging a curve with the mouse.
- SATA information - View SATA port details for easy device recognition.
- Fast and easy clock adjustment - Use the mouse to quickly change time and date settings.
- Aura On/Off mode (Stealth) - Easily enable or disable Aura RGB lighting or every onboard LED, for a more subdued aesthetic.
When you’re ready for a deeper dive, delve into the UEFI’s Advanced mode and take complete control. Advanced mode enables full control over every aspect of the motherboard, and a built-in search function helps you quickly find the setting you need.
- My favorites - Quickly find tuning options and add preferred tools to the list.
- EZ Flash 3 - Flash the latest BIOS via the internet from within the BIOS.
- S.M.A.R.T. - Check your storage device Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.) logs to gauge reliability and identify potential failures.
- GPU POST - Automatically detect selected ASUS graphics cards to view detailed information.
- Secure erase - Restore your SSDs and NVMe storage to factory settings.
- Last modified log - Track the last change and save preferred profiles to a USB drive.
- SATA port renaming - Rename SATA ports for easy identification.
- ASUS user profile - Port configuration settings between different BIOS versions or share them with friends.
- Q-Fan control - Configure the fan's operating speed manually or use pre-configured fan profiles to quickly select Standard, Silent, Turbo or Full Speed modes. By default, system fans will automatically switch to full speed if the temperature reaches 75°C.
Performance Level Up
The dashboard-style control panel of AI Suite 3 lets you fine-tune almost every aspect of your Maximus XII Apex system with ease. Get the best balance between performance, cooling, stability, and efficiency via one simple and intuitive interface.
The TurboV Processing Unit (TPU) is an intelligent onboard micro-controller that provides an array of system-tuning features, including the ability to fine-tune voltages, monitor system stats and adjust overclocking parameters.
All-around energy efficiency
With the Energy Processing Unit (EPU) you'll enjoy system-wide power savings. The EPU automatically optimizes power consumption and maximizes savings with Away mode — a smart setting that creates an extreme energy-saving scenario by shutting down unused I/O controllers.
Fan Xpert 4
Flexible cooling controls for air or liquid
Enjoy comprehensive control over fans, water pumps and all-in-one (AIO) coolers, via either Fan Expert 4 or our UEFI. Whether you're cooling with air or water, Auto-Tuning mode intelligently configures all parameters with a single click. There's also an Extreme Quiet mode, which reduces all fan speeds to below the default minimum — keeping your system whisper-quiet when performing light tasks.
Digital power controls
Precise digital power control
The Digi+ voltage-regulator module (VRM) delivers real-time control over voltage droop, switching frequency and power-efficiency settings, allowing you to fine-tune CPU voltage regulation for ultimate stability and performance.
Turbo Core App
Intel processors feature per-core tuning, and the ASUS Turbo app makes use of this feature by letting you assign applications to specific processor cores, prioritizing computing power where it's needed most.
Maximus XII Apex is well equipped to deliver supersmooth wireless connectivity and compatibility with multiple input sources and PCIe extensions, all of which are a must have for any setups.
Three PCIe 3.0 M.2
ROG Maximus XII Apex features three M.2 slots wired directly to the Z490 PCH. Two slots support both SATA and PCIe 3.0 x4 modes, and the other slot supports PCIe 3.0 x4 for NVMe. Additional Intel® Optane™ memory recognizes, remembers, and speeds up access to most frequently used files, applications, and games for faster, more responsive performance.
The ROG DIMM.2 module is an innovative expansion card that allows two M.2 drives to be connected via a DDR4 interface. Add a metal heatsink to handle the heat generated at maximum performance, while at the same time giving your build a bit of style.
*DIMM.2 accommodates M.2 drives up to 22110 (110mm) in length
WiFi 6 (AX201)
Onboard WiFi 6 (802.11ax) supports ultrafast wireless-networking speeds, improved capacity and better performance in dense WiFi environments, providing exceptional online gaming experiences.*
Pair your motherboard with ASUS WiFi 6 routers to fully experience the networking potential of WiFi 6. Find out more about ASUS WiFi 6 solutions: https://www.asus.com/wifi6/
Intel 2.5G Ethernet
Onboard Intel 2.5G Ethernet gives your wired connection a boost, with up to a 2.5X improvement over standard Ethernet connections for faster file transfers, smoother lag-free gaming and high-res video streaming.
Immerse yourself in sound with SupremeFX audio technology. This integrated audio solution utilizes the S1220A codec to provide a flat frequency response for a neutral, detailed sound signature.
10 DAC channels provide simultaneous 7.1-channel playback, independent 2.0-channel, multiple-stream stereo to front-panel outputs.
Audio line shielding
Blocks electromagnetic interference from the motherboard or add-ons to provide cleaner audio.
Unique design allows the codec's impedance-sensing function to be ported with either the front or rear headphone outputs.
Fine-quality Japanese-made components that produce a warmer, natural sound with exceptional clarity and fidelity.
PERSONALIZED FOR YOU
The unique X-shaped PCB gives you extensive styling and customization options to let you build a system that stands apart from the rest.
Grow Your Gaming World
Gear up with ROG components, from graphics and monitors to mice and keyboards. And up your game with complementary aesthetics, control and compatibility. The ROG ecosystem is more extensive than any competing brand, so enjoy greater choice as your system expands.
Addressable Gen 2 RGB header
The addressable Gen 2 RGB headers now feature software that can automatically tailor lighting effects to specific devices. The new headers also offer backward-compatibility with existing Aura RGB gear.
RAMCache lll software utility turns milliseconds into microseconds to boost game-load times. Fully compatible with the latest NVM Express® storage options, RAMCache lll utilizes uniquely intelligent technology to effectively cache any storage device, so favorite games and apps launch at breakneck speeds.
Armoury Crate is a software utility designed to provide centralized control of supported ROG gaming products. From a single intuitive interface, Armoury Crate puts command of all your Aura gear at your fingertips with the new Aura Creator suite ready. The software also provides control of settings for a growing number of ROG products, making it easier to tune the look and feel of your system. Armoury Crate even offers dedicated product registration and ROG news feeds to help you stay in touch with the ROG gaming community.