THQ have long been a firm favourite for many gaming fans around the world, but it seems the grand financial struggle that has plagued THQ of late has finally dropped the hammer. All thought that the developer would pull things together after a recent Humble Bundle deal that saw some much needed cash flow for the company, but alas it was too little too late.
The end result is that this week saw THQ break up its assets such as game studios and game licences, as well as all their related data of course, then putting them up for auction, so who got what?
Well it seems the biggest haul has gone to Ubisoft who took THQ Montreal studio, 1666, Underdog and "un-named titles in development (next-gen?), as well as their south park license and game Stick of Truth.
• Relic Entertainment / Company of Heroes – Sega
• THQ Montreal / 1666 / Underdog / Additional un-named titles in development – Ubisoft
• Turtle Rock Studios – Evolve – Take-Two Interactive
• Volition Inc. / Saints Row – Koch Media/Deep Silver
• Homefront – Crytek
• Metro / Metro: Last Light – Koch Media/Deep Silver
• South Park License / South Park: Stick of Truth – Ubisoft
Everything still needs to be finalised, dot the i's cross the t's and so forth but that's how things stand at the moment. There are still a few items up for auction that saw no bids or simply were left aside in some of the contracts outlined above, Vigil studio still has no buyer and there is still much to change throughout this deal. I for one hope they all find a happy new home, financial support for the dev. teams, get to keep their jobs and that us gamers / consumers still get the great games we love and I hope not too much of that is wishful thinking.