The ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming motherboard boasts boosted power delivery, an optimised cooling design and intuitive ROG software to help you get the most out of the latest 10th Generation Intel® Core™ processors. And it's not just about performance, its cyberpunk-inspired aesthetics and a mirrored stainless steel Strix nameplate give it looks to match.
ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming helps you get the most out of your gaming build with up-rated power delivery and optimized cooling. Intelligent controls lets you manage overclocking, cooling and networking settings easily, giving you everything you need to harness the full potential of your build for top-tier gaming performance.
Digital power control and an array of power stages ensure ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming has the muscle to control the latest Intel CPUs.
PROCOOL II POWER CONNECTOR
The ProCool II socket is built to tight specifications to ensure flush contact with the PSU power lines and have a metal armor for improved heat dissipation. The connector's lower impedance helps prevent hotspots and improves reliability.
DIGI+ POWER CONTROL
The Digi+ voltage-regulator module (VRM) is one of the finest in the industry, ensuring ultrasmooth and clean power delivery to the CPU.
12+2 POWER STAGES
ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming utilizes 12+2 DrMOS power stages to combine high-side and low-side MOSFETs and drivers into a single package, delivering the power and efficiency that the latest Intel processors demand.
ALLOY CHOKE & CAPACITOR
Superior chokes and durable capacitors are engineered to resist extreme temperatures and provide up to 110% better performance than the industry standard.
- Custom Delta Superflo Fan - A custom-made low-noise fan efficiently cools the area around the VRM by up to 12°C to give you more overclocking headroom, and it can also now be turned on or off via the UEFI BIOS. To ensure longevity, the fan utilizes durable bearings with an impressive 60,000-hour L10* lifespan.
- MOS Heatsink with L-shaped Heatpipe - An L-shaped heatpipe allows for rapid and even heat transfer, while the MOS heatsink provides a large contact area for the MOSFETs and chokes. Together with the metal I/O shroud, it covers a third of ROG Strix Z490-I motherboard, giving you effective cooling within the confines of a cramped mini-ITX chassis.
- Triple-decker Heatsink - The innovative Triple-decker Heatsink comprises of three heatsinks in a single module, with two M.2 heatsinks stacked on top of a PCH heatsink. The Triple-decker Heatsink cleverly maximizes motherboard space, and improves airflow to bring M.2 SSD temperatures down by up to 25°C for better stability and performance.
- Thermal Pads - High-quality thermal pads transfer heat from the inductor and phase array to the heatsink.
* L10 bearing life is a standard metric that specifies the number of hours that 90% of the bearing are expected to continue successfully
Cooler by Design
ROG Strix Z490 series features the most comprehensive cooling options ever, configurable via Fan Xpert 4 or the UEFI BIOS.
- CPU Fan Header - A dedicated pair of PWM/DC fan headers for CPU coolers.
- AIO Pump Fan Header - A dedicated PWM/DC header for self-contained water-cooling setups.
- 4-pin PWM/DC Fan Header - Every onboard header supports auto-detection of PWM or DC fans.
ROG AI Overclocking
ROG AI Overclocking is an intelligent utility that helps you get the out of your build by automatically profiling your CPU and cooling system to predict optimal voltage and frequency settings.
Accessible via the AI Suite software in Windows or directly through the UEFI, the intuitive AI Overclocking user interface enables users of all levels. A range of customizable settings are available for seasoned overclockers, and an auto-tuning option is available for beginners.
AI OVERCLOCKING AT A GLANCE
- Designed by Experts - At the heart of AI Overclocking is a proprietary algorithm developed by ROG R&D engineers who worked with world-renowned overclockers to create a tool for users of all levels.
- Predictive Edge - The algorithm analyzes your CPU and cooling system and, based on what it finds, predicts optimal settings. The software then uses these settings to automatically guide the clocking process, balancing frequency and voltage.
- Real-time Adjustments - The software monitors workload, system temperature, fan speed and power draw every minute, and makes real-time adjustments to ensure ongoing optimal performance.
ASUS AI Overclocking makes automatic tuning faster and smarter than ever before. Available in Windows or directly through the UEFI, it profiles the CPU and cooler to predict the optimal configuration for each individual system.
- AI Overclocking in AI Suite - Onboard intelligence lets you automated overclocking with full, flexible control available via 5-Way Optimization within AI Suite (in Windows).
- AI Overclocking Guide - The AI Overclocking Guide provides detailed information and instructions about how to tune your system manually. It can be accessed by hitting the F11 hotkey.
- Core Group Loading - For high-core count processors like the Z490, AI Overclocking lists data according to core group. This gives you adaptive control based on the status of core groups (3 / 5 / 8 / all cores), and it provides target frequency and voltage estimations needed for manual tuning.
ASUS AI Cooling function will automatically manage and control motherboard-connected fans to ensure optimal settings based on current system load and temperature.
Self-Adaptive Fan Tuning
- CPU temperature detection - AI Cooling detects CPU temperatures and uses a proprietary algorithm to calculate the lowest fan speed required to effectively cool the system and keep fan noise down.
- Automated optimization - Under stable system loads, the software then automatically lowers fan* speed to the optimal setting, decreasing fan noise without compromising performance.
- Ongoing monitoring - AI Cooling continues to monitor the system and adjust fan speed based on current load.
*Fans need to be connected to the following headers for AI Cooling control: CPU_FAN / CPU_OPT / CHA_FAN / M.2_FAN / H_AMP / RAD_FAN
- One-Click Activation - AI Cooling can easily be activated via the Fan Xpert 4 dashboard in ASUS AI Suite 3. Once activated, it will override all manual controls.
- Fan speed references - For those who prefer manual control, AI Cooling provides reference points on a graph that details fan speed in relation to temperature, providing a guide for fan settings.
The proprietary ROG GameFirst VI utility is designed to help all users — beginners, experts, and everyone in between — optimize network settings to ensure smooth online gameplay. New to this generation, GameFirst VI features AI enhanced identification and boost technology to ensure faster and smarter network optimization.
HOW IT WORKS
- Identification - GameFirst VI analyzes your usage patterns and applications' digital signatures and compares them to a database of over 200,000 apps. This database is regularly updated to ensure apps are recognized correctly.
- Boost - GameFirst VI intelligent switches application priority and adjusts bandwidth accordingly depending on the situation. When gaming, it accelerates and prioritizes game packets to give you supersmooth online gameplay even when you’re streaming high-quality video to your audience or transferring large files.
- Visualization - An intuitive graph gives you an overview of the network in real-time, simply click on the tab to view the current bandwidth usage of each application, geolocation status of each network connection, and an analysis of the WiFi channels.
WHAT IT DOES
- Adaptive Intelligence - GameFirst VI takes note of what you’re currently doing and adjusts bandwidth accordingly to ensure smoother online experiences, even when multitasking.
- Gaming First Mode - Gaming First mode leverages on a massive application database and analysis of your frequently-used apps to prioritize gaming network traffic. This reduces jitter and decrease ping to give you lag-free online gaming.
- Network Insight - WiFi Quick Assist analyzes network information including real-time bandwidth use to generate a graph to give you a clear overview of current network status. On top of that, when paired with a ROG router, you can scan your WiFi network to find the best channel, as well as use Game Boost to prioritize gaming devices and packets on your network for ultrafast online speeds.
ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming provides you with the latest connectivity for supersmooth online experiences and blisteringly-fast file transfers. Superior audio performance gives you a massive advantage, allowing you to pick up on the smallest audio cues for a completely immersive gaming experience.
Storage & Memory
DDR4 OC 4600 MHz
ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming supports up to 128GB DDR4 memory across two slots. OptiMem II technology improves trace layout to significantly reduce vias and crosstalk to enhance memory stability and compatibility, giving memory kits higher frequency margins.
Dual PCIe 3.0 M.2
Two M.2 slots are available, with both supporting SATA and PCIe 3.0 x4 modes. Together, they give you the fastest and most-flexible M.2 interface available.
WIFI 6 (802.11 ax)
Onboard WiFi 6 (802.11ax) supports ultrafast wireless-networking speeds, improved capacity and better performance in dense wireless environments, providing exceptional online gaming experiences. Pair your motherboard with ASUS WiFi 6 routers to fully experience the networking potential of WiFi 6. Find out more about ASUS WiFi 6 solutions.
INTEL 2.5G ETHERNET
Onboard 2.5G Ethernet gives your wired connection a boost, with up to a 2.5X improvement over standard Ethernet connections for faster file transfers, smoother lag-free gaming and high-res video streaming.
Built-in SupremeFX audio technology ensures pristine audio. It provides a flat frequency response for a neutral, detailed sound signature. And if you’re using a gaming headset, the front panel output is driven by two op amps to preserve audio quality.
- Audio cover - Effective shielding against electromagnetic interference preserves the integrity of audio signals for the best sound quality.
- Audio-line shielding - Blocks electromagnetic interference from the motherboard or add-ons to provide cleaner audio.
- Dual OP amplifiers - With two op-amps onboard you're able to pump exceptional audio to your favorite cans, with 32-600Ω-headphone impedance for great flexibility.
- Premium Nichicon™ audio capacitors - Fine-quality Japanese-made components that produce a warmer, natural sound with exceptional clarity and fidelity.
PLAY YOUR OWN STYLE
The cyberpunk-inspired aesthetics are accentuated by the bold slashes and cybertext. Pair your ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming with other products from the diverse ROG ecosystem to customize a gaming rig that reflects your personal style.
Undeniably ROG Strix
ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming is unmistakably ROG, with its mirrored stainless steel Strix nameplate, diagonal lines across the I/O shield and futuristic cybertext markings.
OUTSHINE THE COMPETITION
ROG Strix motherboards deliver sterling performance and superior aesthetics to Outshine the Competition. ASUS Aura offers full RGB lighting control with a variety of functional presets for the built-in RGB LEDs as well as strips connected to the onboard RGB header — and it can all be synced with an ever-growing portfolio of Aura-capable ASUS hardware.
- Color cycle
- Starry night
ADDRESSABLE GEN 2 RGB HEADER
ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming’s Addressable Gen 2 RGB headers are now capable of detecting the number of LEDs on second-gen addressable RGB devices, allowing the software to automatically tailor lighting effects to specific devices. The new headers also offer backward-compatibility with existing Aura RGB gear.
Pre-mounted I/O shield
ROG’s patented I/O shield is finished in sleek matte black and comes pre-mounted to make it easy to install the motherboard.
Four onboard LEDs indicate power status, and any problem with the CPU, memory, graphics card or boot device for quick diagnosis.
The reinforced ASUS SafeSlot provides stronger PCIe device retention and greater shearing resistance.
BIOS FlashBack™ is the simplest and safest (UEFI) BIOS update method. Simply drop the (UEFI) BIOS file onto a FAT32 formatted USB stick, plug it into the USB BIOS FlashBack™ port and press the button. Updates can even be performed without having memory or a CPU installed.
ROG Strix undergoes an extensive certification program to ensure the very best compatibility with the widest range of components and devices. Refer to our extensive list of guaranteed-compatible components, it also includes a dedicated Qualified Vendor List (QVL) for memory — so you can build fuss-free.
The ROG Strix Ecosystem Awaits
From graphics, AIO cooler, case, mice, or keyboard, up your game with ROG Strix. Enjoy complementary aesthetics, control and compatibility – and enjoy more choice than any competing brand.
ROG GIVES YOU MORE
ROG exclusive software utilities deliver intuitive audio tuning and gaming enhancements so you can configure your gaming build the way you want.
Take care of complex tuning with just one click. ASUS 5-Way Optimization is a system-wide tuning utility that overclocks the processor and tunes fan speeds to ensure the best balance between cooling and acoustics. The automated CPU tuning feature of 5-Way Optimization leverages the same onboard intelligence as AI Overclocking, but goes further by running a Prime95 based stress test to deliver a result that's well-tuned from the get-go.
- TPU Insight - The TurboV Processing Unit (TPU) provides AI Suite 3 with the intelligence needed to automatically fine-tune voltages, monitor system stats, and adjust overclocking settings. We have upgraded this tool to provide AI Overclocking prediction values for users who want more insight when experimenting with different settings.
- EPU Guidance - With the Energy Processing Unit (EPU) you'll enjoy system-wide power savings. The EPU automatically optimizes power consumption and maximizes savings with Away mode — a smart setting that creates an extreme energy-saving scenario by shutting down unused I/O controllers.
- Fan Xpert 4 - Enjoy comprehensive control over fans, water pumps and all-in-one (AIO) coolers, via either Fan Expert 4 or our award-winning UEFI. Whether you're cooling with air or water, Auto-Tuning mode intelligently configures all parameters with a single click. There's also an Extreme Quiet mode, which reduces all fan speeds to below the default minimum — keeping your system whisper-quiet when performing light tasks
- DIGI+ Power Controls - The Digi+ voltage-regulator module (VRM) delivers real-time control over voltage droop, switching frequency and power-efficiency settings, allowing you to fine-tune CPU voltage regulation for ultimate stability and performance.
- Turbo APP - This intuitive tool allows you to define CPU overclocking, apply fan profiles, prioritize network data and optimize audio settings at app level ? so your system is perfectly optimized for whatever you're doing.
The renowned ROG UEFI (BIOS) provides everything you need to configure, tweak, and tune your rig. It offers intelligently simplified options for newcomers to PC DIY, as well as comprehensive features for seasoned veterans.
When you're ready for a deeper dive into the configuration of your system, delve into the UEFI's Advanced mode and take complete control. Each section is intuitively organized, and a built-in search feature makes it easy to find the options you need. Advanced functions are coded with the intelligence to adapt to your settings, and when you're ready to take charge, parameters have the granularity to dial in performance just the way you want.
- Prediction - AI OC monitors system vitals like temperatures, fan speeds, and power draw to estimate overclocking performance.
- My Favorites - Quickly find tuning options and add preferred tools to the list.
- EZ Flash 3 - Flash the latest BIOS via the internet from within the BIOS.
- AI OC Guide - The AI OC Guide allows you to enable the AI Optimization or view a quick guide.
- SMART - Check your storages devices' Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology logs to gauge reliability and to identify potential failures.
- GPU POST - Automatically detect selected ASUS graphics cards to view detailed information.
- Secure Erase - Restore your SSDs to factory-fresh condition.
- Last Modified Log - Track the latest changes and save preferred profiles onto a USB drive.
- SATA Port Renaming - Rename SATA ports for easy identification.
- Search Function - Quickly and easily find the option or setting you're looking for.
- ASUS User Profile - Port configuration settings between different BIOS versions or share them with friends.
Designed to simplify setup, EZ mode presents all the vital settings and stats on a single page. With guided wizards, drag-and-drop functionality, and one-click application of important settings, your rig will be up and running in no time.
- My Favorites - Quickly find tuning options and add preferred tools to the list.
- EZ Flash 3 - Flash the latest BIOS from within the BIOS.
- SMART - Check your storage device Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology logs to gauge reliability and identify potential failures.
- Secure Erase - Restore your SSDs and NVMe storage to factory settings.
- Last Modified Log - Track the last change and save preferred profiles to a USB drive.
- SATA Port Renaming - Rename SATA ports for easy identification.
- User Profile - Port configuration settings between different BIOS versions or share them with friends.
- Q-Fan Control - Configure the fan's operating speed manually or use pre-configured fan profiles to quickly select Standard, Silent, Turbo or Full Speed modes. By default, system fans will automatically switch to full speed if the temperature reaches 75°C.
Sonic Studio III
Sonic Studio supports HRTF-based (head-related transfer function*) virtual surround for VR headsets, casting an immersive aural landscape that draws you deeper into the action. The intuitive Sonic Studio interface also offers a range of EQ options and one-click presets, allowing you to tailor acoustics to suit personal preferences or the characteristics of your headset.
*A head-related transfer function is an audio algorithm derived from sound data recorded through a dummy head. Test tones are played from a spherical grid around the dummy head to obtain subtle changes in sounds that come from different directions. The results are combined into an algorithm that allows Sonic Studio's virtual surround to process sound true to life.
- SONIC STUDIO LINK - The new Sonic Studio Link now allows you to apply Sonic Studio effects on all playback devices. Simply press the Sonic Studio Link button to enjoy the effect on any playback devices.
- APP-SPECIFIC PROFILES - Apply customized audio settings to different applications, so everything you do is perfectly tuned to the way you want to listen.
- SONIC STUDIO VIRTUAL MIXER - A virtual audio device that lets streamers combine sound output and output from different apps. This allows you to mix your voice and video game audio within streaming software. A variety of adjustment and monitoring tools provide a high level of digital control.
ROG Strix Z490 series includes a pre-loaded DTS Sound Unbound app that envelops you in audio as never before, conjuring whole new levels of immersion for extraordinary gaming and entertainment experiences. By exploiting Windows Sonic spatial technology, DTS Sound Unbound delivers audio in a virtual 3D space — putting you right in the middle of the soundscape, where you can sense the location and direction of every gunshot, footstep or other sound in your virtual environment.
* DTS Sound Unbound requires in-game support. Check with developers for titles that offer support.
- STEREO SOUND - The classic headphones or two-speaker setup, delivering discrete left and right audio channels.
- SURROUND SOUND - Audio that's split into and served over multiple speaker channels – such as 5.1 or 7.1 – creating an enveloping experience, but on a single logical plane.
- SPATIAL SOUND - An all-new experience that creates a virtual audio ‘sphere', with you at the center, so sounds seem to travel in all directions – creating astonishing 360° immersion.
Armoury Crate is a software utility that provides centralized control of supported ROG gaming products. From a single intuitive interface, Armoury Crate puts command of all your Aura gear at your fingertips, with the new Aura Creator ready. The software also provides control of settings for a select and growing number of ROG products, making it easier to tune the look and feel of your system. Armoury Crate even features dedicated product registration and ROG news feeds areas to help you stay in touch with the ROG gaming community.
- Aura sync
- Device configuration
- Driver & Manual download
- Gaming highlight
- Account management
RAMCache turns milliseconds into microseconds to boost game-load times. Fully compatible with the latest NVM Express storage options, its uniquely intelligent technology effectively caches an entire storage device so that favorite games and apps launch at breakneck speeds.
Smart mode: Automatically caches all your storage devices to maximize your system's resources. The intuitive interface displays real-time drive information, such as current read/write speeds and allows you to quickly check the health status of assigned memory